Nov 21, 2005

CAT


Natsume Soseki began writing "I am a Cat" as a series of short stories for the local newspaper.
The first piece of his writing was an overnight hit, and since then millions of reader followed the Cat`s journey in the human world.
I read "I am a Cat" in 1998, during my college time, but never managed to finish it.
Later, I found this book again in the Kyoto University`s library, and read it, unlike the last time, I managed to reach the last "dot".
Never have I imagined that human behaviour can be so finely dissected through the eye of Soseki's Cat.
Soseki`s Cat was not unlike typical Japanese cat which once in a while managed to get the attention from people around, or if unlucky be looked down as a dirty animal.

If only we can understand animal languages, we will never know how ugly our behaviours are in the eyes of other creatures we call animal.


Photo : Ohara

7 comments:

The Furui Man said...

Finished reading Vol.1 yesterday. Reading the book acted as "brain reset" for me. Very enjoyable. I will go and borrow Vol. 2 next week.

Eddie said...

i think this book later became one of the mostimportant literature books in Japanese high school.

Anonymous said...

I have not read the book yet. Will buy it next year, after I finish all my books in my apato!
Ai Ling

noomai said...

it's truly a famous book, Eddie. I think that book was what made Soseki famous. He even made it on the Japanese bank note. (if I remember it right, he was on the old 1000 yen one.)

Patrick Leong said...

since when our friend become tsuki hime ?

Eddie said...

what is tsuki hime?
noomai : i think the old 1000yen with Soseki looks better than the new one.

tsuki hiime: actually, in Japanese version, the content/ message is quite heavy. That is why the book made it to the class room, else it would have end up in the mangga shop!

problogger said...

Hmm seems like a good book .. will check whether there is a copy in my library