There are a few versions of story explaining the weird name given to this small yet one of the finest garden in Suzhou. Some said the officer that resided there decided to give up bureaucracy and become a fisherman, but other said that the name is given such because of its location near to WangShi road.

Whatever the explanation it is, I agree with the claim that this is the best if not one of the finest Suzhou garden. Quoting Lonely Planet China - "it is worth a visit as it's better than all the others COMBINED".

I wasn't expecting much because it is the last garden during my trip to Suzhou. At this moment, I do not know why I had put it on the last in my list. If not, I would have visited it twice.

This garden was first constructed in the Song Dynasty in 1140 AD, and now even has a replica in Museum of Metropolitan of Art New York.

















It was quite cloudy, and the all the pictures that I took at this garden turned out dark and dull. Hmm, I wish I could go there again on a bright sunny day.

1 comments:

AL LEE said...

Even though the weather was gloomy, the pictures are still beautiful! I love the gardens and the reflection. Amazing to see how the landscaper could imagine all that in his/her head and make it happen. Even harder for gardens because you can't see the results until years later!